Disclaimer: I’m assuming you’re female-presenting, purely as a result of when you’re not I don’t know a lot about that finish of issues and would not have a lot recommendation.
First query: how a lot money/time/vitality do you wish to put into this?
Ultimately, all of the choices will come right down to “spend extra time or cash on X”. That’s superb if you wish to do this and it appears worthwhile! However there isn’t actually archane or esoteric data to these items. Every little thing boils right down to, “purchase dearer garments / make-up / skincare / get a dearer haircut / hair color / therapy”. Even when it’s, “you may get nice offers on costly garments by going to…”, that’s about how a lot time you wish to spend.
Personally, I like purchasing for costly garments on a budget (largely by spending ages scrolling via eBay and sale websites) and actually good haircuts, however can solely be semi-bothered with make-up and in no way with hair styling. So I’m at peace with staying perpetually at a degree the place I’ve nice garments and well-cut however fairly messy hair!
That stated, when you do wish to spend extra time / cash on this, listed below are the guidelines I gave somebody who had simply entered a gross sales position and was attempting to go REALLY high-end and shiny:
– dearer garments, that match effectively, in largely non-natural fibres, will put on higher and look smarter over the course of the day than cotton, linen and even silk in excessive temperatures. (Very superb wool is the exception, however you then’re speaking VERY high-end, until you might be excellent at procuring.) Easy shapes and equipment work effectively. You additionally must get the colors that go well with you– black + black and white appears AMAZING on some colourings, however on me it might make me look washing out and almost useless. Determining a impartial (black, gray, navy, darkish inexperienced) that works on you and a few accent colors can actually show you how to look put collectively.
– is your make-up skilled? In the event you put on no make-up, or your make-up tends to the brightly colored, barely goth, messy, pale, and many others., that may additionally look very uncorporate. Ditto cheaper make-up which frequently doesn’t final the entire day effectively. The gross sales colleagues’ “look” the place I work tends to be full basis (and who is aware of what primers/bb lotions/color correctors beneath), brown-pink blushes, brown/nude eyeshadow and eyeliner, black mascara, nude lip.
– Nails? My gross sales colleagues are into very manicured, nude color nails. In the event you put on no nail varnish, chew or reduce your nails roughly, put on chipped nail varnish or shiny colors, it’s going to be off-brand.
– Hair? Lower, color, and a mode that matches up with how lengthy you wish to spend on doing it? Except you may have the type of hair that falls *each* simply into an ideal type from moist, the polished enterprise look requires some degree of styling– blow-drying, straightening or curling. In the event you tie it again in anyway, use darkish/plain clips or invisible bands.
-Sneakers – clear? Newish? Not falling aside or trashed on the heel and toe?
– baggage? You might be essentially the most put-together particular person potential within the hair, make-up, garments sense, however when you stagger in with a bag too heavy for you that doesn’t shut correctly and a purse and a folder clutched below your arms, you’ll *look* messy. Or in case you have a sensible purse and plastic service bag for the additional stuff you grabbed on the best way out, the service bag takes over. Spend a while eager about what you really need to hold, get a good bag the suitable dimension, and undergo it often to take out any crap that tends to build up and make it look larger/bulkier than it must. (Mine at all times collects kids’s knickers and socks, cereal bars, receipts and now, used masks.)